- ‘If you don’t fight for something, nothing will change,’ says Pride 365 founder on Nicola Adams’ Strictly first - 8 September, 2020
- Rugby uniform gets more swipes right on Tinder - 2 September, 2020
- Corn Exchange Manchester to mark fifth birthday by helping guests to celebrate missed occasions - 27 August, 2020
Times are changing. It was often the case that coming out was a lonely and isolating experience. Okay, it often still is for many people. But there is hope – because there are some mums (my mum, for instance) who are so cool it makes the whole coming out thing so much easier. Coming out is always a personal experience, but with friends and family behind you, you can overcome many of the challenges you may face.
As a thank you to all those wonder-mums who support their queer kids no matter what, here’s our list of 17 Signs You Have a Very Cool Mum.
1. She’s an advocate for safer sex.
2. She tells it like it is.
3. She can delegate.
4. She doesn’t judge you on your bad outfits.
5. She doesn’t need to tell you off to let you know you’ve disappointed her.
6. She enjoys a varied and active sex life. And she doesn’t mind you knowing.
7. She understands that clubbing is more important than family get-togethers.
8. She doesn’t take shit.
9. Even from Chuck Norris.
10. She’s so calm and collected.
11. She’s always been a good role model.
12. She won’t let anyone badmouth you.
13. She loves you, despite the fact your birth was pretty much like this scene from Poltergeist:
14. All your friends are terrified of her, but love her too.
15. Remember that teacher who didn’t like you in school? She dealt with that with total calm and class.
16. She’ll cope just fine once you leave home.
17. In fact, she’s so cool, she even takes her own mum clubbing.
And to all those mothers who don’t support their queer kids?
We have just one thing to say to you: