Latest posts by Daniel Wren (see all)
- Gay/bi men are going celibate because of erectile dysfunction - 2 May, 2019
- Valentine Day getaways with DoubleTree by Hilton - 9 January, 2019
- Piste perfect for beginners in Slovakia’s High Tatras - 25 December, 2018
Kate Moss has apparently developed a love for making jam! According to the star model, her favourites are damson and quince jams.
Here we serve up are our recipe for making Kate Moss’ favourite jam.
TIP: We used the Ball® Brand Home Preserving Starter Kit. It’s simple and fast, allowing you to make your own jams and preserves at home, with each staying fresh for up to a year.
With its yellow skin, quince looks and tastes like a cross between an apple and a pear. The following recipe makes approximately four 250ml jars:
600g granulated sugar
825-875g quartered, cored, peeled quince
1. Prepare jars and lids according to Ball® instructions
2. In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Over a high heat, bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil hard, stirring frequently, for five minutes. Stir in the quince. Reduce the heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until fruit is transparent and syrup thickens. Remove from heat and test to see whether it has reached gel stage. Do this by dipping a cold spoon into the boiling mixture. Lift spoon and hold it horizontally and edge down, so that the syrup runs off the edge. When the drops join together and the “sheet” off the spoon, you have reached gel stage.
3. If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.
4. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 5mm headspace. Remove air bubbles and top up if necessary. Wipe rims. Centre the lids on the jars. Screw the bands down just until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
5. Place jars in the Ball® preserving rack and lower into a large pan of hot water, ensuring the jars are entirely covered. Bring to a boil, maintaining it for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave jars in hot water for five minutes, then remove and leave to cool.
The Ball® Brand Preserving Starter Kit (£19.99) is available from Lakeland.