- Art Exhibition: Presence in Absence – JD Malat gallery - 17 September, 2020
- Review: 100 Wardour St post-lockdown — Soho, London - 7 September, 2020
- Three serves with CÎROC Summer Watermelon - 7 September, 2020
Whilst the weather this week in the UK has been less than summer-worthy, although not atypical or unexpected, there is still plenty of time this season for a re-appearance of some glorious sunshine. And to that end, here at Vada Magazine, we’ve rounded up four deliciously refreshing summer cocktails. Yes there’s always Champagne (or English Sparkling Wine LINK), or an Apérol Spritz, but diversity in a drinks menu is always a good strategy.
Summer cocktail 1: The Kentucky Mule
- 50ml Wild Turkey Bourbon
- Ginger beer
- 20ml Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Add the ingredients into shaker with ice. Stir, and strain over ice into highball glass and top off with soda water. Garnish with lime and mint sprig.
- Recommended with Wild Turkey Bourbon, Wild Turkey 101 or Russell’s Reserve 10 Year. For something slightly sweeter, try Wild Turkey American Honey.
Summer cocktail 2: The Rusty Nail™
Simple, yet complex and rewarding, The Rusty Nail™ sits alongside the Martini and the Old Fashioned as one of the classics of the cocktail world, but has a sweetness that makes it surprisingly accessible. Its origins in the bars and clubs of 50s New York lends old-school style and sophistication to the drink.
- 1 part Drambuie
- 1 Large rock of ice
- 1 individual Lemon Twist
- 2 parts Scotch Whisky
- Build over ice in a rocks glass and stir. Garnish with a lemon twist
Summer cocktail 3: The Drambuie Collins
With less sass than Joan Collins, this is a light, refreshing and tasty serve with simple ingredients. It’s quick and easy to build in a highball glass.
- 1 part Drambuie
- 1 scoop Cubed Ice
- half a Lemon
- 8x Mint Leaves
- 2 parts Soda
Cut a lemon into wedges, then squeeze and drop half the lemon into a highball glass. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Summer cocktail 4: Coralina Margarita
With Patrón Reposado tequila, Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur, red wine and hibiscus, by Mexico City’s Riesler Morales
- 50ml Patrón Reposado tequila
- 20ml Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur
- 30ml fresh lime juice
- 20ml simple syrup
- 15ml red wine (Mexican, or other)
- + sugar-salt rim*
- Combine Patrón Reposado tequila, Patrón Citrónge Orange liqueur, simple syrup and lime juice in a shaker tin; add ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe rimmed with sugar-salt rim*. Carefully float red wine on the surface of the cocktail
- *Sugar-salt rim: Pulverise a 7ml cup dried hibiscus in a spice grinder. Add 7ml cup of sugar and 7ml cup of kosher salt, and pulse until combined