Latest posts by Daniel Wren (see all)
- Gay/bi men are going celibate because of erectile dysfunction - 2 May, 2019
- Valentine Day getaways with DoubleTree by Hilton - 9 January, 2019
- Piste perfect for beginners in Slovakia’s High Tatras - 25 December, 2018
Eastenders‘ June Brown (who plays Dot Cotton) is helping raise awareness of the fight against cancer with this delicious, guilt-free (sort of) cake that combines banana, honey, sultana and almonds.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 250g plain white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 90g manuka honey, or other runny honey
- 60g demerara sugar
- 60g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 85g sultanas
- 60g flaked almonds
How to prepare
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Melt the honey, sugar and butter together in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas with a fork, then mix in the beaten eggs.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the melted butter and sugar mix and beat together. Add the banana and egg mixture and beat again, then fold through the sultanas.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake tin and level the surface. Scatter over the flaked almonds and bake for 50 mins-1hr, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cover the cake with foil after 40 minutes if the surface is becoming too brown.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin
June Brown is supporting Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday 26 September. For more celebrity recipes go to macmillan.org.uk/recipes or to register to hold your own and help ensure no-one faces cancer alone text COFFEE to 70550 to receive a free coffee morning kit.