- UNISON votes unanimously to oppose ‘gender criticals’, support trans equality - 17 June, 2022
- Developing character through sports - 23 December, 2020
- Essence Jelly Nail Polish Remover – This week’s treat for your nails costs just £2.80 and smells of pineapple - 27 August, 2020
The iconic image of fish and chip-eating Brits has been restored due to lockdown takeaway fever. According to online takeaway delivery platform Foodhub, orders of fish and chips have seen a spike of 208% and takeaway orders overall have surged by an extra 50% across all types of cuisine.
Whether this is a call for familiarity, or a deeper appreciation of classic food, the favoured takeaway dish has come out tops. Following some way behind it are orders of quarter pounder burgers, which are up 158%, and the late-night guilty pleasure, the donner kebab, up 156%.
Orders of comfort food staples such as sausage and chips (152%), garlic bread (148%), chicken burgers (147%) and chicken nuggets (146%) are also up.
Cheesecake beats out pizza by 129% to 115%, although Hawaiian pizzas have beaten out pepperonis.
Chocolate chip cookie dough ice is cream up 113%, as is the humble but delectable chocolate cake.
Foodhub spokesperson Philip Mostyn said, ‘For many of us, takeaways have provided us small moments of joy and a break from the monotony we’re all experiencing in lockdown. It’s interesting to see how, as a nation, we’re turning to the old favourites and seeking comfort in familiar nostalgic foods, such as fish ‘n’ chips.’
Foodhub is an online food website and app launched in 2017. There are more than 12,000 takeaways currently featured online at foodhub.co.uk and through the apps available for iOS and Android. Foodhub is unique in that it does not take a commission from the food establishments for each order placed. This enables them to offer better prices and deals to customers than other online food platforms
Top 10 lockdown takeaway foods
1. Fish and chips (up 208%)
2. Quarter pounder burgers (up 158%)
3. Donner kebabs (up 156%)
4. Sausage and chips (up 152%)
5. Garlic bread (up 148%)
6. Chicken burgers (up 147%)
7. Chicken nuggets (up 146%)
8. Cheesecake (up 129%)
9. Pizza (up 115%)
10. Chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (up 113%)