- Britain’s top 10 musicals for the last 20 years revealed - 7 July, 2020
- Magical Harry Potter cocktails from Aldi – 100% bigotry-free - 30 June, 2020
- UK service Zava now offers PrEP for £50 - 24 December, 2019
To celebrate the launch of the Harry Potter range at Aldi (on sale in store and on the Aldi website now), the supermarket has conjured delicious cocktails for the perfect treat. From Polyjuice potion to Butterbeer, shoppers can grab a ‘mug’gle and apparate themselves to the wizarding world with these enchanting recipes. What’s more, these recipes are completely free of transphobia, homophobia or names shared with proponents of conversion therapy.
Whilst the fictional version may contain some slightly unique ingredients, Aldi’s own take on Polyjuice Potion requires a lot less brewing and you’ll be pleased to know it is a lot more appetising. Hold the lacewing flies and leeches for this one.
- 50ml Haysmith’s Seville Orange & Persian Lime Gin (£15.99 for 70cl)
- 50ml fresh-pressed or bottled green juice including:
- ½ Green apple
- ½ Kiwi
- ½ bunch of grapes
- 1tbsp of lime juice
- Top up with Aldi’s Jive Lemonade
- Either pick up your favourite green-coloured juice, or blend the green apple, kiwi and grapes with the lime juice to make your own!
- Mix the Haysmith’s Seville Orange & Persian Lime Gin (£15.99) and green juice together in a shaker with ice and strain into a glass. Top with a splash of Aldi’s Lemonade!
Aldi’s take on the magical Felix Felicis potion may or may not provide “liquid luck”, but it’s sure to turn any ordinary day into an extraordinary one.
- 1 tsp of homemade sugar syrup
- 50g of Aldi’s The Pantry Caster Sugar (99p, 1kg)
- 50ml water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 50ml ginger beer
- Splash of Aldi’s award-winning Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut (£12.49)
- To make a simple sugar syrup, heat equal parts of The Pantry Caster Sugar and water until fully dissolved, then cool.
- Mix the homemade sugar syrup and lemon juice in the bottom of a glass, preferably a champagne flute and add ginger beer.
- Top up with Aldi’s Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut (£12.49) for some extra pizazz!
Dreaming of a refreshing and foaming pint in the Three Broomsticks? Well look no further, as Aldi’s take on the popular wizarding tipple will transport you to Hogsmeade quicker than a dash of floo powder!
- 250ml Aldi’s The Pantry Granulated Sugar (65p, 1kg)
- 40ml water
- 250ml Aldi’s Cowbelle Single Cream (79p, 300ml)
- 350ml cream soda
- 130g sugar
- 90g butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Foodie Market Apple Cider Vinegar (£1.99, 500ml)
- ½ teaspoon Sea Dog Premium Spiced Rum (£14.99)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often.
- Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 of the cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the Sea Dog Premium Spiced Rum (£14.99).
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar/water mixture with the remaining cream. Use an electric mixer or whisk to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve: divide the sugar/water mixture between 4 glasses. Add half of the cream soda to each glass and stir to combine. Fill each glass with the rest of the cream soda and spoon the whipped topping over each.
And if that’s not enough, Aldi’s bestselling Harry Potter Specialbuy range is back, available in stores and available to order online now.