- Hotel review: The Gantry, London - 24 November, 2022
- The latest limited edition cocktail ingredient: CÎROC Passion vodka - 15 November, 2022
- Make cheese your Christmas present of choice this year with Paxton & Whitfield - 13 November, 2022
Like everyone in the the UK, at Vada we are very aware of budgets tightening further this year, but as the festive period draws near we don’t want to scrimp on quality either. So this year we suggest offering to buy the cheese as the Christmas present for whoever is hosting Christmas dinner. That way everyone gets to enjoy it. And no better place than the twice royally-warranted Paxton and Whitfield.
Paxton and Whitfield
Paxton & Whitfield supply some of the top-end retailers with their artisan cheeses and fine food products, as well as leading restaurants and hotels around the country. And they also sell direct to customers. Having opened its new, state-of-the-art maturation rooms in the Cotswolds in 2022 (incidentally the 225th birthday of this cheesemonger), Paxton & Whitfield released a new “XO” range of hand-matured, artisan cheese and co-developed a brand-new British cheese, ‘Cullum’, which we have tasted and highly recommend.
For Christmas 2022 the UK’s oldest cheesemonger, have created a range of cheese hampers at different price points. All hampers feature re-usable ice packs,100% sheep’s wool insulation for a chilled delivery, a free Paxton & Whitfield gift card; printed with the customer’s personal message, and free delivery in the UK.
Paxton’s Historic Gourmet Feast Box (£45)
- This box, created to celebrate Paxton & Whitfield’s 225th birthday, contains: Sparkenhoe Shropshire Blue (250g), Gorwydd Caerphilly (250g), raw milk Bungay Butter (200g), Paxtons Proper Pickle (190g), NEW Paxton & Whitifeld Sourdough Crispbreads (120g) and a NEW special-edition Paxton & Whitfield ‘225 Years’ reusable Tote Bag.
Little Box of Christmas (£47)
- The ‘Little Box of Treats’ continues to be a best-seller featuring a mixture of cheese and accompaniments. It contains: Paxton & Whitfield Smoked Ceodre (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Mini Waxed Stilton PDO* (200g), the pretty star-shaped goat’s milk cheese Etoile de Gatine (120g), festively flavoured Paxton & Whitfield Spiced Plum Chutney (198g), Paxton & Whitfield Poppy & Linseed Artisan Biscuits for Cheese (150g) and a box of hand-baked Gingerbread Christmas Trees (125g).
Planting Trees & Eating Cheese (£45)
- This is a uniquely sustainable way to enjoy cheese this year, which includes a charitable tree planting donation (as well as the cheese, of course). The cheeses have been selected from cheesemakers who are each pioneering environmental sustainability initiatives. This box contains Smoked Lincolnshire Poacher (200g), Sparkenhoe Shropshire Blue (200g), Baron Bigod (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Farmhouse Butter Crackers (150g) and a personalised Christmas Card containing the tree planting information, by UK charity “Trees for Cities” – the official partner of The Queen’s Green Canopy.
Cheese for Honey (£45)
- Honey is considered one of the world’s earliest condiments and its pairing with cheese can be traced back to Roman times. The combination of cheese with its creamy, salty flavour profile and the sweet and silky drizzle of honey is a simple yet satisfying pairing. This gift pack contains three cheeses which have been specially selected for pairing with Paxton’s Acacia Honey, which are Cashel Blue (250g), NEW Paxton & Whitfield Cullum (250g), Mothais sur Feuille, NEW Paxton & Whitfield Sourdough Crispbreads (120g), Paxton & Whitfield Acacia Honey (340g) and a Paxton & Whitfield Beechwood Spreader.
Christmas Cheese Cake (£65)
- Sometimes cheese by itself isn’t enough, so this pack is designed to be presented on the table in a Christmas Tree shape, with the star-shaped Etoile de Gatine atop. For a spectacular centrepiece for any festive gathering, the Christmas Cheese Cake features four tiers of artisan cheese. From bottom to top it features: Paxton & Whitfield Stilton Half Baby PDO* (1kg), earthy Cheddar Pounder PDO*(550g), creamy Celtic Soft cheese (200g) and is topped with the beautiful star-shaped Etoile de Gatine (120g).
12 Days of Christmas (£80)
- This seasonal selection of 12 Paxton & Whitfield artisan cheeses and fine foods contains the following treates: Paxton & Whitfield Mini Waxed Stilton PDO* (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Celtic Soft (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Hundred Dram PDO* (200g), NEW Paxton & Whitfield Sourdough Crackers (120g), Fig Ball (250g), Paxton & Whitfield Pear & Vanilla Confit (120g), Paxton & Whitfield Quince Cheese (140g), Paxton & Whitfield Apricot and Cranberry Chutney (190g), Paxton & Whitfield Classic Oatcakes (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Sea Salt Fudge (150g), hand-baked Gingerbread Christmas Trees (125g) and a bottle of Paxton & Whitfield Cote de Duras Sauvignon Blanc (375cl).
The Piccadilly (£100)
- This is Paxton & Whitfield’s most iconic cheese hamper, presented in a re-usable hamper box for the perfect gift. Each hamper contains: Paxton & Whitfield Stilton Jar with Clarified Butter PDO* (250g), Paxton & Whitfield Cheddar Pounder PDO* (550g), Paxton & Whitfield Celtic Soft (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Celtic Capra (80g), Paxton & Whitfield Smoked Ceodre (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Cornish Buttermilk Artisan Biscuits for Cheese (100g), Paxton & Whitfield Sourdough Crispbreads (125g), Paxton & Whitfield Apricot and Cranberry Chutney (190g), Paxton & Whitfield Really Proper Piccalilli (198g), and the best-selling Paxton & Whitfield Cheesemongers’ Favourite Knife.
The Kensington (£150)
- As an extravagant option, this sumptuous hamper contains everything needed to enjoy over the festive season – presented in the same reusable Paxton & Whitfield wooden hamper box as The Piccadilly. The Kensington Hamper includes: Paxton & Whitfield Dorset Goat (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Stilton Jar with clarified butter PDO* (250g), Paxton & Whitfield Cheddar Pounder PDO* (500g), Paxton & Whitfield Celtic Soft (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Black Garlic Pickle (110g), Paxton & Whitfield Quince and Apple Confit (120g), Paxton & Whitfield Classic Oatcakes (200g), Paxton & Whitfield Sourdough Crispbreads (125g), Paxton & Whitfield Quince Cheese (140g), “Cheese of The World” Tea Towel, Paxton & Whitfield Cote de Duras Merlot Cabernet (375ml), Paxton & Whitfield Cote de Duras Sauvignon Blanc (375ml) and Paxton & Whitfield Champagne (375ml).
Paxton & Whitfield have stores in London (including 93 Jermyn Street, London, SW1Y 6JE) and Bath (1 John Street, Bath, BA1 2JL).
For more information about the Paxton & Whitfield cheese hampers and to order, visit paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk