- Review: Daiquiri selection from NIO cocktails x Ron Santiago de Cuba - 2 October, 2022
- The Rainbow Lottery – supporting LGBTQ good causes - 20 September, 2022
- Hotel review: Revolver, Glasgow - 11 September, 2022
With International Gin and Tonic day coming up on 19 October, we take a look at some perfect serves with Caorunn, gin from the Scottish Highlands.
A recent trip to the Scottish Highlands inspired us to explore a gin from the local small-bath distillery, Caorunn (pronounced ‘ka-roon’). Caorunn is quadruple-distilled, giving it an individual flavour profile, perfect for any classic or contemporary cocktail.
Balmenach Distillery in the Speyside region of the Scottish Highlands, which furnishes Caorunn with gin, has been distilling alcohol since 1824. Six traditional and five locally foraged Celtic botanicals (Dandelion, Heather, Coul Blush Apple, Bog Myrtle and Rowan Berry) are infused together with grain spirit in the world’s only working Copper Berry Chamber. The result is a dry, crisp and aromatic taste.
Working with mixologist Walter Pintus, Caorunn have developed the perfect serve and gin-based cocktails. Naturally, with International Gin and Tonic day in a couple of weeks, we have been trying out the recipes to perfect our mix and sharing these with our readers.
An Afternoon in the Highlands
This gin-based cocktail mixes acidity, fruitiness and umami notes, with a hint of smoke, for an extra layer of flavour.
- 40ml Caorunn
- 30ml raspberry cordial (we used the ‘Bottle Green’ brand)
- 25ml lemon juice
- 40ml tonic water
- 2ml whisky (ideally peat)
- Stir all the ingredients with ice and serve in a rocks glass over ice. We used a Martini glass. Alternatively garnish with raspberries and/or wildflowers.
Caorunn Perfect Serve G&T
- 1 part Caorunn
- 1 part Premium Tonic Water
- Red apple (ideally Pink Lady)
- Build the G&T over ice in a tall glass, and garnish with slices of red apple
This light and amble serve is perfect for a sunny afternoon tipple, or in fact any weather where you need to add your own sunshine.
- 30ml Caorunn Gin
- 10ml Campari
- 2.5ml cider vinegar
- ¼ apple
- 1 blackberry
- 10ml sugar syrup
- In a shaker, muddle the apple and the blackberry together.
- Add the rest of ingredients and shake.
- Double strain into a glass filled with ice, garnish with blackberries.
Caorunn is available in selected Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Tesco supermarkets, as well as online stores and specialist spirit retailers, with a recommended retail price of £29.