The weather is definitely getting worse and I am seeing more and more people with coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms. It’s time for me to deliver some care in the community and share this great paleo recipe to beat the sniffles. As a side note, if you are suffering from a cough or a cold, I recommend plenty of bed rest, drinking plenty of water and making this soup.
This recipe is what’s known as a ‘paleo-cheat’ recipe as technically the chorizo is not a full paleo ingredient due to how it is made. However, these types of meals are allowed on a few occasions. The main two ‘paleo-cheat’ ingredients are black-pudding and chorizo.
You don’t need to chop the vegetables finely or neatly, the whole thing will be liquidised in the end so the size you chop them will only dictate how long they’ll take to cook or boil.
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup
Preparation to Plate: 40 Mins
Serves 4-8 People
Consume within 4 days
800g Sweet Potato, peeled and roughly chopped
200g Hot Chorizo Sausage, sliced
2 Medium Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Celery Sticks, roughly chopped
1 Large White Onion
Handful of Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
1.8L Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 Fresh Red Chilli, sliced (Optional)
Salt & Pepper
1. In a large saucepan or pot add some olive oil and add all the chopped and sliced ingredients, except the red chilli, to the pan with the curry powder.
2. Cook over a low heat for around ten mins, until the onions are soft and the carrots are turning golden. Don’t let the vegetables burn.
3. Add the chicken stock to the pan and turn up the heat. Once the stock comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potato is cooked.
4. Liquidise the soup, taste the soup and add salt and pepper.
5. Serve with a scattering of the red chilli, if you so wish. If you’d prefer the soup to be even hotter then you can add the red chilli in the beginning with the rest of the chopped ingredients.