- Review: A Taste of the World, new cocktail menu at St James Bar - 18 May, 2023
- Review: bottomless brunch at Kings House, Chelsea – London - 27 April, 2023
- LGBT travel inspiration – 7 days in Florida Keys - 11 March, 2023
In celebration of Burns Night (25 January), The Gallery in West Hampstead, London is hosting a Whisky 101 event. The first in a series exploring whiskies from around the world, it’s designed to be an informative, interactive and entertaining workshop – experimenting with pairings of whisky, beer and food.
This Burns Night event will take drinkers on a journey from Lowland Auchentoshan, Speyside, through Highland Dalmore and to the Isle of Skye through the medium of single-malt whiskies. These will be complemented by samples of three Scottish beers rounded off with the Burn’s Night staple: a serving of haggis.
Throughout the evening, drinkers will learn about the history, production and style of Scottish single malt, and how the unique flavours stem from the regions in which they are distilled. Guests will be invited to put their noses and palates to the test and encouraged to record their tasting notes on specially created flavour profile cards.
Ranging from local craft beers, to unusual brews and wheat beers, the boilermakers for the evening have been carefully chosen. Whisky and beer begin production with the same three basic ingredients – water, barley and yeast, which is perhaps why they are the perfect pairing.
For those interested in attending (anyone ranging from novice to expert), tickets will include five flights of whisky, three samples of beer and a serving of haggis. The Gallery have also devised a selection of cocktails especially for the night based on the whiskies highlighted, which will be available to purchase at the end of the session.
Future events in the series are mainly planned to coincide with major national holidays in whisky-producing countries including:
- -Wednesday 17 February, Whisky and Food Pairing
- -Wednesday 16 March (St. Patrick Day) – Irish Whiskey and Beer Pairing
- -Wednesday 11 May (Japanese Golden Week) – Japanese Whisky and Beer Pairing
- -Wednesday 8 June – New World Whisky, pairing with South African, Australian, Swedish whisky with beer
- -Monday 4 July (Independence Day) – BBQ and Bourbon, Bourbon Tasting with food pairing.
Tickets are priced at £25 for the Burns Night event on 25th January (7 – 9pm), and are available online, with 10% of sales donated to UK charity Centre Point.
The Gallery is located at 190 Broadhurst Gardens, West Hampstead, London, NW6 3AY.