Hayman’s Sloe Gin is a delicious seasonal liqueur which works well on its own or with your favourite mixer. It’s fruity, warming notes are the perfect accompaniment to many a Yuletide dish. Here are just two of the more creative ways to enjoy Hayman’s forager’s treat.
Rich chocolate mousse infused with Hayman’s Sloe Gin
- 200ml Hayman’s Sloe Gin
- 200g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate, broken into pieces (set aside 20g for garnish)
- 600ml double cream
- 3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 100g sloe berries
- 100g caster sugar
- Place the sloe berries in a pan with three quarters of the sugar and warm over a low heat.
- Stir to combine, allow the sugar to dissolve and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Press the cooked berries through a sieve using the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl set over a bain-marie at a low simmer, allowing the chocolate to melt slowly.
- Remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before stirring in the egg yolks (mix thoroughly, to avoid any lumps), followed by the sweetened sloe coulis (keep 20g aside for garnish) and 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin.
- Whisk the double cream with the rest of the caster sugar until it forms rough peaks
- Slowly stir in 100ml of Hayman’s Sloe Gin little by little to the whipped cream, to prevent the cream from curdling.
- Set a little of the cream mixture aside for garnish and fold the rest into the chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until they become soft peaks and fold into the rest of the mixture.
- Serve with a garnish of Hayman’s Sloe Gin-sweetened cream, flaked chocolate, and drizzle over the remaining coulis.
Hayman’s Mulled Sloe Gin
- 100ml Hayman’s Sloe Gin
- 250ml Red Wine
- 2tsp Honey
- Half a teaspoon of Allspice
- To garnish: cinnamon stick, apple slice and/or blackberries
- Set a metal-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Pour the Hayman’s Sloe Gin and red wine into the saucepan.
- Add in the honey and Allspice.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the mixture to simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour into a handled glass, and garnish with a cinnamon stick, apple slice and/or blackberries.