Its almost getting to summer time, so I thought I’d share a favourite recipe of mine to kickstart the sunny weather. This recipe makes four burgers and takes about 20 minutes to make.
- 6 bread rolls
- 400g chickpeas
- 1 chilli (or more to taste)
- 1 red onion (half finely chopped, the rest is to serve)
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- Bunch of fresh coriander (a supermarket packet will do fine)
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1tsp cumin
How to Make
- Start by blitzing two of the bread rolls in the food processor to make breadcrumbs. Remove these for later and put on a plate.
- Grate the rind off the lime and add to the food processor. Then chop the lime in half and squeeze the juice in.
- Drain the chickpeas thoroughly then add them to the food processor along with about half the coriander.
- Add the egg, sweet chilli sauce and cumin to the food processor. Blitz everything together (you may need to mix everything up again once or twice).
- Put the mixture in a large bowl with the chopped onion and 2/3 of the bread crumbs. Then it’s time to get your hands dirty…
- Mix everything together and form into four burger patties. Once they’re the right shape, put them on the plate with the remaining breadcrumbs to coat both sides.
- Once completed put all of the patties in the fridge for at least 10min to firm up.
This is the easiest step. Pan fry in a little oil for four minutes on each side (making sure not to burn). Once done, serve in the bread buns.
These go amazingly well with coleslaw and sweet potato chips (if you put the sweet potato in the oven as you put the burgers in the fridge, everything will be done at the same time).
These burgers also go amazingly with a rum cocktail (or two). Check out some recipes here.
Top tip: Meat lovers can replace some or all of the breadcrumbs from stage 1 with their favourite mince (lamb, beef, chicken, pork or turkey).