- Sex in the time of corona – How we’ve been managing our sex needs during lockdown - 3 June, 2020
- Establishing your perfect work-life balance - 3 February, 2020
- 13 Grammy Awards musical travel facts - 16 January, 2020
- Dana Point’s Doheny State Beach is mentioned in Surfin’ USA by The Beach Boys
The Beach Boys mention ‘down Doheny way’ in their song ‘Surfin’ USA’ – a reference to Doheny State Beach in Dana Point, California. Doheny State Beach is a popular spot for keen surfers, but was especially popular during the 1960s when The Beach Boys released this classic.
‘Surfin’ USA’ is one of the most famous songs by the band, and is remembered for its colourful evocation of sunshine and sea. visitdanapoint.com
- Santa Cruz is mentioned in ‘The Trip to Pirate’s Cove’ by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Another American icon, Tom Petty found fame with the Heartbreakers in the 1970s. Their provocative track, ‘The Trip to Pirate’s Cove’, was filled with mischievous characters and ‘loose women’.
The song is basically a road trip to a made-up pirate hostpot in Santa Cruz.
Pirate’s Cove is actually Avila Beach in SLOCAL, a secret spot where smugglers hauled their illegal liquor containers ashore from cargo ships. This is where the inspiration for the song came from. visitsantacruz.org
- Katy Perry pays homage to hometown Santa Barbara in hit track, ‘This Is How We Do’
Katy Perry is the quintessential ‘California Gurl’, raised in Santa Barbara. Her catchy lyrics often celebrate her beloved state, and the picture-perfect city of Santa Barbara is where the magic started.
In her 2013 hit, ‘This Is How We Do’, Katy references her favourite taqueria. La Super Rica is known for its delicious seafood tacos. santabarbaraca.com
- The Offspring give a shout out to Huntington Beach in ‘Cruising California (Bumpin’ in my Trunk)’
A love letter to Huntington Beach, ‘Cruising California (Bumpin’ in My Trunk)’ offered some light relief for The Offspring as the first single of their ninth album, Days Go By in (2012).
The video, shot on-site at the famous beach, features an unsuspecting family being pulled aboard a party bus where frontman Dexter Holland, guitarist Noodles and the crew are partying inside, eventually disembarking at the beach to perform for their fans. www.surfcityusa.com