- Biking holidays in Gran Canaria - 8 May, 2019
- Interview: Johnathan Tweedie as Sir Lancelot in Spamalot - 7 November, 2017
- The Office Desk Increasing Productivity - 13 September, 2017
The Society of London Theatre has partnered with VoiceMap, the audio walking tour specialists, to produce the Official London Theatre Audio Tour with Ian McKellen – a free audio guide to the West End. London becomes the stage with the internationally renowned actor, a six-time Olivier Award winner, assuming the role of director and guiding visitors through iconic and lesser-known sites around Theatreland.
Throughout the tour, listeners will hear anecdotes and personal stories about McKellen’s time on stage and the history that has shaped London’s world-famous theatre district. This is an opportunity to experience the West End like never before.
The tour begins and ends at TKTS in Leicester Square (where free wifi is available to download the app).
‘I know myself when I’m in a strange city that wandering around with your nose in a guidebook isn’t the best way to appreciate what’s going on. The important thing when you’re walking around a city like London is to look up and down the alleyways and round the corner. With a guide in your ear all this is much easier,’ said Ian McKellen
VoiceMap is an audio tour app that uses GPS to play stories about your surroundings at exactly the right time. As you walk it uses your location and offline maps to play audio automatically. Once downloaded, the tour is not reliant on data or wifi.
To download the Official London Theatre Audio Tour with Ian McKellen:
- Install VoiceMap for iPhone or Android
- Sign up with email or Facebook, then look for ‘Theatreland Tour with Ian McKellen’ in the London menu
- Download all the files over wifi, then put on a headset and start walking
- VoiceMap works offline and doesn’t require any data
TKTS, which is run by the Society of London Theatre, has been in the heart of Leicester Square for more than 30 years, offering fantastic discounts, amazing choice and great customer service, and acting as a central box office for all of London’s biggest shows.