- Speak Out Sister launches to represent majority of feminists who are trans-inclusive - 15 June, 2022
- Manchester Jewish Museum reopens with exciting new installation as part of Manchester International Festival - 20 May, 2021
- Preview: Mother’s Ruin: Speaks & Shows at Turn on Fest, Hope Mill Theatre, Manchester - 4 January, 2020
Win big with Virgin Holidays
11am-7pm Thursday 13 September, 9am-6pm on Friday 14 September
Observation Point, Southbank, SE1 9LT
Summer might have fizzled out, but Virgin Holidays has brought the holiday spirit back for two days only! Launching the first ever Thameside ballpool on the Southbank in London today, Virgin Holidays hope to encourage Brits to open themselves up to the spirit of adventure. Containing over 140,000 reusable colourful balls, the epic swim spot has opened its lanes to young and old alike.
Olympic diver and British icon Tom Daley was first to take a dip into the Instagram-friendly giant ball pool. Located at Observation Point, the outdoor pool is the biggest in the UK and offers iconic ‘beachside’ views over London’s cityscape (without having to squeeze into a swim suit!) and adds a welcome splash of colour to the banks of the Thames.
Speaking of the initiative, Tom Daley said, ‘We all have responsibilities and every day pressures, but it is important to remember to have a fun along the way. Whether that means acting like a big kid for a few hours in a giant Virgin Holidays ball pool like me or trying new experiences – avoid mundane routines and “take a plunge” into something exciting. The world is our playground, after all!’
The ball pool opening follows the results of a recent survey revealing that Brits stop having fun at the age of 43. After this, we say goodbye to fun and ta-ra to enjoyment. Commissioned by One Poll, the research showed that we Brits lose touch with our playful side due to cash concerns (30 percent), constant exhaustion (23 percent) and feeling too self-conscious (22 percent).
It’s not alll doom-and-gloom, however. Half of those surveyed said they were at their most fun on holiday, and nearly half (49 percent) would say that breaking a routine would help them feel more refreshed.
Joe Thompson, Managing Director at Virgin Holidays said, ‘We want to encourage people to get out into world and have fun, stepping away from the all-too-familiar everyday routine. At Virgin Holidays we want to help everyone enjoy amazing new experiences all around the world. For anyone looking for an adventure closer to home, the Virgin Holidays Ball Pool is the perfect way to dive into a new experience – no swimsuit required!’
Best of all, a number of holidays are up-for-grabs for Londoners willing to embrace their playful side and dive in. Four golden balls will be hidden amongst the rainbow colours at intermittent periods in the installation – any lucky punters who discover one during their dip will be jetting off on a fun-filled holiday for two*:
- Get dazzled by the bright lights of Las Vegas – the world’s ultimate adult playground – with three nights at The Tropicana Casino, Hotel and Resort
- A long-weekend exploring beautiful Barbados is up for grabs, with four nights at Savannah Beach Hotel
- Thrill-seekers can enjoy incredible rides at all three Universal Orlando Resort theme parks with five nights on-site accommodation at the brand new Aventura Hotel
- Picture-perfect Antigua offers plenty of adventure on both land and sea – enjoy four nights all-inclusive accommodation at the stunning St James Club & Villas.
The experience comes ahead of Virgin Holidays’ new brand campaign ‘The World Is Your Playground’. The campaign encourages customers to view the world with a sense of wonder, playfulness and openness. It features a hero television advert that shows someone riding a vintage muscle car down the Big Sur as if it was a skateboard, while carousel horses glide along the beach in Barbados; and places the Las Vegas strip inside a pinball machine, with giant paper boats in the San Francisco bay. It airs for the first time on ITV during The X Factor on Saturday 15 September.
Londoners are invited to break up the day and have a play, free of charge.
The Virgin Holidays Ball Pool located at Observation Point, Southbank, SE1 9LT from 11am to 7pm Thursday 13 September and 9am to 6pm on Friday 14 September.
*Competition terms and conditions apply. Please see virginholidays.co.uk/south-bank-terms for more information.