Latest posts by Tim Firmager (see all)
- Hotel review: Kouros Hotel & Suites – Mykonos - 8 June, 2019
- Round-up: Luxury to luscious – three unique London venues to try this month - 2 June, 2019
- Bar review: cocktails at No. Fifty Cheyne – Chelsea, London - 28 May, 2019
Who enjoys a Tequila? Or how about a Margarita cocktail? If the answer to either of these is ‘yes’ then it’s likely London Mezcal Week will be of interest. To clarify any uninitiated or preconceptions, Mezcal is a sibling product of Tequila. Strictly speaking Tequila is part of the Mezcal family, where Tequila is made purely from the blue agave plant, whereas other Mezcal variations can be made from any type of the agave plant.
Biology aside, London Mezcal Week is a series of events running 11 – 17 September across London, culminating in a two-day tasting festival coinciding with Mexico Independence Day celebrations. London Mezcal Week is organised by two of London’s most exciting Mezcal enthusiasts, Thea Cumming and Melanie Symonds, with a the series of events will be produced by Lucie Massey. The trio’s aim is to provide a platform for all kinds of people to explore the culture of traditional Mezcal production, as well as taking a closer look at Mexican art, film and food – diversity, culture and drinking in an afternoon sounds good to us.
Throughout London Mezcal Week, a series of social events in venues across the city will champion the diverse creativity of Mexico as well as the magical story of the agave plant, from which Mezcal is made. From art exhibitions and panel discussions, to the creation of a Mexican mural, mezcal masterclasses and food pairings, each event will uncover the fascinating world of Mezcal and its place in Mexican culture. The series of events are as belw:
- Monday – A Mezcal Pairing Dinner with Edson Diaz-Fuentes, at his restaurant Santo Remedio.
- Tuesday – Cocktail Competition Final at Ray’s Bar in Dalston.
- Wednesday – Panel Discussion “The Future of Mezcal” and Blind Tasting at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard.
- Thursday – Bartender’s Brunch at Café Pacifico.
- Friday – Teatro Magico Mexican Independence Day party.
- Saturday – Tasting Festival at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard.
- Sunday -Tasting Festival at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard and Closing Party at Night Tales, Netil House.
Tickets are required for the tasting festival held over the final weekend of London Mezcal Week, at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard in Hackney. This 2-day tasting event will feature the UK’s biggest ever Mezcal tasting, where ticket holders can taste over 30 mezcals and talk to many of the faces behind the brands.
Independent brands are given precedence at the festival, which will be focusing on traditionally made mezcals and the families behind them. A proportion of London Mezcal Week ticket sales will go towards charities working within the agave community.
Mexican street food (including pop-ups from Bad Sports, El Pastor, Santo Remedio and Temper), a mezcal bar serving cocktails, beers are available over the weekend event, with a programme of art exhibitions, DJs and live music.
For more information and to book tickets for London Mezcal Week, visit londonmezcalweek.com.