- Biking holidays in Gran Canaria - 8 May, 2019
- Interview: Johnathan Tweedie as Sir Lancelot in Spamalot - 7 November, 2017
- The Office Desk Increasing Productivity - 13 September, 2017
Well, the British summer is here, no matter how fleeting this moment may be. And instead of letting the moment pass wasted, why not head to the park for a picnic?
If you’re itching for a picnic that’s easy and doesn’t make too much mess, then the humble sandwich is, of course, your mainstay. It’s versatile, filling and portable. And while it might seem Gregg’s and Subway have cornered the market, there’s something to be said for homemade butties. Or, in this case, homemade baguettes.
This recipe is easy as pie (or easy as sarnie, at any rate). Grab a French baguette and load up with parma ham, parmesan, pea shoots and basil mayonnaise for a slice of Mediterranean sunshine here in the grim UK.
for the sandwich filling
4 large baguettes
2 handfuls pea shoots
30g basil leaves
60g shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
8 slices Parma Ham
for the basil mayonnaise
20g basil leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
125g light mayonnaise
2 tsp lemon juice
10g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
salt and cracked black pepper
- Blanch the basil in boiling water and then plunge it into cold water. Drain off any excess water.
- In a food processor, blend the basil and add olive oil until it purees.
- Next, add mayonnaise, lemon juice and parmesan. Blend again until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.
4. To finish, slice open the baguettes and fill with pea shoots, basil leaves, shaved parmesan and slices of parma ham.
You can find more parma ham recipes, at prosciuttodiparma.com.